Tuesday 27 January 2009

Dairy Free Andy!

Something that has increased for me in recent weeks is my sense of connection with all things. I've said many times before that I know I am part of The All, but this is something that has become more of a reality for me. I do feel part of it - part of the Dance of Life. It's like I've broken into the circle of dancers, joined hands with them and am dancing along! We're all dancing together, but each according to our own steps, our own paths, separate, yet together.

About three weeks ago I moved from being vegetarian to also becoming dairy free. I'm not about to get on a soap box about it, that's not something that I do, although I feel passionately about my reasons for wanting to live a cruelty free lifestyle. Many pagans have criticised me for this, some even suggesting that my lifestyle is incompatible with walking a pagan path. They are welcome to their view, I just don't share it! What I didn't expect, in taking this step, was the deepening sense of connection it bought to me with all things. I don't mean this in a silly Dr Doolittle kind of way, I just feel that I moved into a new space. I felt joined by the many sentient beings that walk this earth and make their own journey alongside me. It was something that I didn't expect, but it was a most welcome experience. It reminded me of this quote:

Animals... are not brethren, they are not underlings: they are other nations, caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendour and travail of the earth. Henry Beston


I really want to mark Imbolc this year and because I've been somewhat out of action for a little while I intend to make it a kind of rededication to both the Lord and Lady. I'm feeling the 'shove' of Spirit! It's time for me to move on, to get active, to stop dabbling and to really get in there! Often in the past I've allowed this impulse to lead to a kind of frustration, as time and other pressures often get in the way, I'll explore this in my Imbolc ritual which I will carry out in my Temple Room sometime on Sunday. I feel really excited now I've actually written this down - it's a real and genuine intention and now I've spoken it, not only will it come to pass, but it will be eventful!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yo Andy. It's great to see you back here,hon. Looks like spring is on its way after all. We're all looking forward to the forthcoming months, many new arrivals. But first, that essential cleansing and smudging process. I've been doing quite a bit today and I'm dancing around the kitchen.No change there then!
Lovely to see you back, your family are looking good.x

Anonymous said...

Interesting, I am hearing more and more recently (in dreams and outside of dreams) about being vegan or vegetarian.
I was a vegetarian for 12 years, then not for a few, then vege for a few and I am back to eating meat. My main problem with a vegetarian diet is purely physical; it is too high GI with not enough stomachable sources of protein for me. Most vegetarian sources of protein are too high in fibre and I cannot stomach them (plant fibres being very different to meat fibres which I can digest). I would very much love to be vegan - I agree with you regarding living cruelty-free; but my health prevents me and I have tried many things but I just have my symptoms flare up every time. I compromise in buying only free range, organic meats and dairy products. In some ways it is a great lesson being forced to listen to your body and be in tune with it, even if it goes "against your principles".
But there must be a reason why the topic is so much on my radar at the moment - I will give it more thought.
Any suggestions please email me, Andy.
BB
Seshat

Anonymous said...

Oh and best wishes for your healthy eating plan....I'm on one too, I've never felt so good. I've just had a courgette sandwich, my diet is more of a business arrangement really...

...thank you for your inspirational comments...I'm allergic to dairy so I understand where you're coming from.

Imbolc blessings my dear, see you soon.x

Andy said...

You have mail, Seshat! Let me know if I can be of any more help as I'd be really pleased to share what I can.

Blessings to you too, Ffraid!