Monday 5 May 2008

The Green Man and The New Moon




I've walked about 10 miles today, and my joints are letting me know it! I went to the Kingsbury May Day Festival and my partner and I walked across the fields to get there. The festival itself has been going for about 10 years and always starts with a parade where the Green Man is ushered in. People then join in a 'Green Man song' that was written, I think, by a local to Kingsbury. There are also Morris Dancers, musicians, art and craft stalls and I noticed someone giving Indian Head Massage this year. It's a fun thing to go to and it hundreds of people go, it really is very popular. The veggie food was better this year, although my partner enjoyed tucking into his hog roast!

Walking the land is always a wonderful thing, and today the birdsong was just incredible, really lovely. The land is greening, and in many ways this is my favourite time of year. Everything is fresh and bursting with life, buds are bursting open, blossom is everywhere, and life is evidently returning. The birdsong this morning was almost as though the birds were celebrating this turn of the cycle of life, this rebirth. This powerful, young, vibrant energy is so evident and the excitement of Beltane continues on. The festival today wasn't pagan as such, but the joy of the season was there on so many faces today, it was great to see.

As I saw the Green Man today I was reminded, once again, of the raw, untamed, wild and free energy of the God. The Green Man once again taking centre stage as all the land is Greening. This promise of hope and new beginnings, this creative energy, this time of nurture and expectancy, a time where we can reflect on where we have been, where we are and where we want to be and more than reflect, take charge of our destiny by entering into this powerful energy in a real, dynamic and powerful way. I am part of the All, I am part of Nature, I am connected to the Greening - this is something pretty special to step into!

And today is New Moon, of course, again bringing a real, powerful and creative energy, so the time for setting intentions is doubly strong today!

With the Moon in her Maiden phase, and the God in his youthful, strong, lusty and sexually active stage, this is a powerfully creative time, a time of change, of growth, of greening. I sense a genuine need for change within me, at least, a time for clear direction on where to place my feet in the weeks and months that lie ahead and this is where I will be setting my focus for the week ahead. The Lord and Lady bring life, abundant, exuberant life at this time, and I will be seeking to draw this new life energy into my own experience.

3 comments:

Ffraid said...

You are so lucky to have this type of event close to you.We used to have May pole dancing here, perhaps I should reinstate it for next year. Thanks for the 'add' by the way.

Anonymous said...

Well said. This is the strongest season of the year for me, I'm a gardener and the life in the ground and the leaves astounds me afresh every year.

The festival sounds great fun - wish there was more of that sort of thing round my way!

Andy said...

Thanks Ceri and WW.

That energy in the ground and the leaves also flows through us, and this is something that I think I'm only really just coming to understand - or perhaps I'm simply understanding it on a deeper level. It's powerful stuff!

The festival was fun . . . I'm thinking that I might offer my services next year!

I do appreciate the comments, thanks!